Mentor Connector Program
IAVM’s Mentor Connector program was developed by the Diversification Committee to provide IAVM members opportunities to experience meaningful and ongoing interaction with a diverse group of top professionals in the industry. Participation will provide you with insight from experienced and successful venue management professionals, introduce you to a range of career opportunities, establish a broad network of professional business contacts and develop confidence and leadership skills from the interaction with the mentor you will be assigned..
Mentor Connector matches an experienced venue manager who has demonstrated competency in the specific area(s) (Mentor) with an individual who has identified a professional development need (Mentee). Together they create a one-on-one, 12-month program, tailored to improve the skill set of the –mentee and enhance the mentor’s contribution to the industry.
TO APPLY TO BE A MENTOR CLICK HERE
TO APPLY TO BE A MENTEE CLICK HERE
MENTOR CONNECTOR PROGRAM MENTOR HANDBOOK CLICK HERE
MENTOR CONNECTOR PROGRAM MENTEE HANDBOOK CLICK HERE
TO REGISTER FOR THE NEXT MENTOR CONNECTOR INFORMATIONAL WEBINAR CLICK HERE
- Mentors sharpen their skills as they teach others, make a personal impact on the development of others, and strengthen IAVM and its members.
- Mentees benefit from gaining first-hand knowledge, networking, skill development and support to realize their professional goals.
- Coaches ensure the success and integrity of the mentoring relationships and contribute to the success of IAVM and the Mentor Connector program.
- Participants who successfully complete a Mentor Connector program cycle qualify for points toward the Certified Facilities Executive designation and continuing education.
- The Mentor Connector Program Handbook (Mentor Handbook, Mentee Handbook) provides complete details including schedule, roles and responsibilities, process, goals and objectives, and reporting guidelines.
Individuals interested in participating are encouraged to complete an application. Classes are offered twice a year, in April and October. Each class/program runs for a 12 month cycle.
A mentor / mentee match is based on several mutually beneficial criteria: career interest(s), commitment, leadership position, community obligations, time availability, geographic location and personal interests. Each match is carefully tailored to provide a unique and valuable mentoring experience for both participants. Once a mentor / mentee match has been determined, both parties are notified, and personal profiles and contact information are provided to each participant.
A coach—an individual with strong industry experience—is assigned to ensure the program duo stays on its timeline, to act as a resource for industry knowledge, and to provide support as needed.
As a mentor, you can:
- Positively influence another individual sharing your knowledge, skills, values and experiences.
- Gain tremendous satisfaction from contributing to the development of capable individuals and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing them succeed.
- Improve communication, leadership, and development/training skills.
- Expand professional contacts through interaction with other mentors.
- Revitalize interest in your own work through connection with members who are changing their career path, want to learn a new skill, or assist newer members navigate their way to success.
- Boost your self-esteem through recognition from your mentee, peers and the association community.
- Invest in the future by giving back to IAVM.
In today’s marketplace, the value, if not the necessity, of being proactive in securing knowledge and advice from industry professionals has never been greater. Every mentorship experience is beneficial.
- Gain insight from your mentor’s knowledge, skills, values and expertise.
- Grow through greater awareness of challenges and opportunities.
- Receive critical feedback in key areas, such as communications, interpersonal relationships, technical abilities and leadership skills.
- Develop a sharper focus on what is needed to grow personally and professionally.
- Learn specific skills and knowledge that are relevant to professional and personal goals.
- Gain knowledge about the industry and unspoken rules that can be critical for success in the venue management industry.
Complete the appropriate application, Mentor or Mentee. You will receive a confirmation once your application has been received. If you have any questions, contact IAVM’s Membership Services at 972.906.7441. Note: Matches are handled twice a year. You will be enrolled in the next formal partnership program: April and October annually.