In today’s marketplace, the value, if not the necessity, of being proactive in securing knowledge and advice from industry professionals has never been greater. Every mentorship experience is beneficial.
- Gain insight from your mentor’s knowledge, skills, values and expertise.
- Grow through greater awareness of challenges and opportunities.
- Receive critical feedback in key areas, such as communications, interpersonal relationships, technical abilities and leadership skills.
- Develop a sharper focus on what is needed to grow personally and professionally.
- Learn specific skills and knowledge that are relevant to professional and personal goals.
- Gain knowledge about the industry and unspoken rules that can be critical for success in the venue management industry.
As a mentor, you will be developing the industry leadership of tomorrow. Being a mentor to the future of our association and industry, you will:
- Positively influence another individual sharing your knowledge, skills, values and experiences.
- Gain tremendous satisfaction from contributing to the development of capable individuals and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing them succeed.
- Improve communication, leadership, and development/training skills.
- Expand professional contacts through interaction with other mentors.
- Revitalize interest in your own work through connection with members who are changing their career path, want to learn a new skill, or assist newer members navigate their way to success.
- Boost your self-esteem through recognition from your mentee, peers and the association community.
- Invest in the future by giving back to IAVM.
- Oversee partnership process and mentor/mentee goals
- Provide coaching and counseling as needed
- Provide information to help mentor/mentee achieve their program goals
- Evaluate impact of participation on personal and professional development
- Other responsibilities outlined in handbook