Venue Safety & Security Committee
Heidi Snyder - VICE CHAIR
Kathryn Carlson, CVP
Alex Keen, ETCP
Joe Levy, CVE
Kimberly Mahoney, CVP, Ph.D.
Denise Zigler, CVE
The Venue Safety & Security Committee represents and advocates for safety and security interests of the venue management industry to encourage and equip professionals in the discipline of life safety and security operations and management.
This committee has a chair and vice chair, and is composed of 8-12 venue and/or allied members that are committed to furthering the mission.
Committee members serve a term of one year, which may be renewed for up to four years of total service on the committee. Committee Members may not serve on the Committee and the AVSS Faculty at the same time.
Vacancies should be filled no later than September 1 annually. Incoming members will assume roles following the conclusion of VenueConnect.
Volunteer Code of Conduct:
You are working with others as a team so be considerate of how your actions or contribution affects your colleagues and the association as a whole.
Treat other IAVM members, committee members and staff with respect in words, tone and action.
Check your e-mails regularly and answer them promptly—even if it's "I'll get back to you."
Sometimes the hardest thing to say is "no" or admit you've forgotten to do something. Be honest with each other and yourself with regards to what you say and what you can realistically commit to do.
Volunteers are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of all proprietary or privileged information to which they are exposed while serving as a volunteer, whether this information involves a single staff, volunteer, client, or other person or involves overall association business. Failure to maintain confidentiality may result in termination of the volunteer's relationship with the committee or other corrective action.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Chair and Vice Chair:
Chair: Responsible for ensuring that committee members are effectively engaged in order to achieve the mission. The Chair develops committee strategy, agendas and chairs meetings. Submits reports to the President/CEO and/or staff upon request.
Vice Chair: Responsible for collaborating with IAVM staff to ensure the development of Safety and Security content for IAVM conferences and or digital content is created in a timely manner to include webinars and podcasts. In the absence of the chair, the vice chair assumes the responsibilities of the chair as well.
The Chair and Vice Chair are responsible for ensuring that members of the Venue Safety & Security Committee are effectively engaged in order to achieve the mission.
The Chair and Vice Chair will work with IAVM staff as required to achieve the following:
- Provide ieadership to the Venue Safety & Security Committee.
- Act as a public spokesperson and advocate for the IAVM Life Safety training and education programs.
- Perform as leadership speakers and, where applicable, teach appropriate topics at IAVM conferences.
- Endorse and encourage, through public relations efforts, the Academy for Venue Safety & Security and associated IAVM Life Safety training and education programs to government, business, and safety and security industry.
- Assist with strategic planning and implementation of vision and goals for the AVSS and associated IAVM Life Safety training and education programs.
- Assist the Industry Affairs Committee and/ or the membership at large upon request regarding issues that arise pertaining to safety & security.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Committee:
The Key roles and responsibilities of the Venue Safety & Security Committee are to provide:
- Policy direction and general strategic oversight of the Academy for Venue Safety and Security and other IAVM Life Safety training and educational programs.
- Venue industry outreach and advocacy of IAVM Safety and Security programs.
- Participating in at least 80% of regular committee conference calls.
- Committee is responsible for Life Safety elements within VenueConnect.
- Complying with the established, mutually agreed upon deadlines.
- Each committee member will be evaluated annually by the chair and vice chair on completion of tasks, attendance, active participation, and commitment to the roles & responsibilities as discussed. Evaluations will be reviewed by the President/CEO in collaboration with the chair and vice chair to determine opportunity for term renewal(s).
Roles and Responsibilities of Staff
Collaborate with the Venue Safety and Security Committee to:
- Comply with mutually agreed upon deadlines as established in a coordinated effort between the staff and the committee.
- Participate in committee planning calls, take minutes, and assist with the formulation of the schedule and timeline.
- Solicit agenda items from the chair and distribute agendas and supporting materials at least 5 business days before any conference call or meeting.
- Provide minutes to the committee chair within 10 business days of each conference call/meeting, for distribution to the entire committee within 20 business days.
- As resources allow and in accordance with priorities support the work of the committee relative to projects and issues important to life safety & security.